Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Monalisa Smiles

Katherine Watson who is an art professor begins her teaching career at the all-female Wellesley College. The students are very advance in studies and In 1953, a time when women's roles were rigidly defined, free-spirited, novice art history professor Katherine Watson begins teaching at the... prepared to be a full time housewife. As a well educated person, Katherine has different perception towards woman’s role in society. In this movie, she takes up the role of a motivator to encourage students to be in the field as what they want. I find this movie interesting because as an educator, I realized that how important it is for a teacher to know the level of students and be prepared for lesson before enter a classroom. Professor Katherine, who is the main character is a strong woman where she believes in everything that she does and knows what to do, ignoring others view or opinion. She tried her best to make her students think creatively and critically by teaching them something beyond the curriculum syllabus because her students know anything about the syllabus. Therefore, she had to teach something new and interesting. She, in my opinion who is a motivator encouraged her student to be what they want to be, follow their dreams and not just to be prepared to be a housewife.
I personally feel that this movie is a good masterpiece for a teacher because many teaching techniques can be derived from it for our use in classroom. A teacher’s task is not only to educate students but also to prepare them mentally and physically for the future to face the outer world. Motivation is an important element of teaching that should not be neglected because teachers are seen as role models and respect us. By being nice and giving good feedback for every achievements will be able to boost the students’ self-confidence. This movie reminded me of one of my role model who is my teacher, Miss Chan. She is really good in English and has never skipped her classes. Most of the students in my class don’t like her because she always teach and teach and teach but some really inspired her enthusiasm and passion for teaching us. It made many students to get good result in English exam and one of them is me. When she knows that I have gotten into Teaching Institute for my tertiary education, she even spends her time and money to give me a treat and some piece of advice preparing me for future. This kind of teacher I wanna be in future. Her idea is always one, ‘you are studying for life and not for examination.” As a teacher’s duty is very important and needed, I am glad to be in this line.

1 comment:

  1. The teacher brought the fact that one should not plan their lives around marraige. Adultery was in no way condoned or celebrated in this film. It helped to point out that when people get married just to marry, adultery is a popular escape for unhappiness. Overall, it was a good movie with good acting.

    ReplyDelete